Illinois Institute of Technology. College of Science and Letters
- Usage: 1940 - 2013
The College of Science and Letters (CSL), a former academic division of Illinois Institute of Technology (Chicago), came into existence in 1940 upon the merger of Lewis Institute and Armour Institute which created IIT. CSL experienced multiple name changes and reorganizations as to academic programs and courses offered under its auspices, but its broadest definition included subjects common to liberal arts, humanities, sciences, and mathematics (as opposed to engineering disciplines taught through IIT's Armour College). The Lewis name was usually attached to either the college as a whole or to the Humanities program taught by the college. On May 23, 2012, The IIT Board of Trustees approved two new colleges within the IIT structure, dividing the programs previously taught through the College of Science and Letters between them. The two new colleges were identified as the College of Science and Lewis College of Human Sciences. The College of Science opened June 1, 2013 and accepted its first class in fall 2013.
Found in 2 Collections and/or Records:
Materials created in association with the College of Applied Sciences, including printed slides from a presentation about the new College of Sciences titled "Science at IIT: Past, Present, Future," given 2012. Brochure "Applied Sciences for the Professions," n.d.