Galvin Library collection, 1984-1985
Color photographs (3½ x 5") of the John Crerar/Kemper Library building on Illinois Institute of Technology's campus during renovation of the building (resulting from Crerar's departure from IIT) and its conversion to the structure rededicated as the Paul V. Galvin Library. Photos dated Aug 1984 taken by Susan Davis show images immediately prior to the renovation including the ramp from upper level window which was built to remove the Crerar Library card catalogue from the building. Other photos taken by Martin Sagansky ca. June-August 1985 show extent of renovation through various stages. Mostly interior shots.
- Anderson, Anita (Person)
Language of Materials
Records are in English.
Conditions Governing Access
Available for Research
Donor Anita Anderson served as an IIT librarian with the Kemper and Galvin Libraries and is currently (2000) the Head Librarian of Graham Resource Center, IIT's architectural library. Photographer Susan Davis was a Kemper librarian in 1984. Photographer Martin Sagansky was a student hired by the library to take the 1985 photos. The John Crerar Library, a private scientific and technical reference library, was incorporated in Chicago in 1894. In 1958 (?), the Library moved its location to the Illinois Institute of Technology campus. On May 6, 1961 ground was broken for a two-story building which would jointly house the Crerar and Kemper (IIT's main library) libraries. The contractual agreement between Crerar Library and IIT was terminated Dec. 31, 1984 and Crerar relocated to the University of Chicago the following year. The IIT library building was renovated and re-dedicated as the Paul V. Galvin Library Sept. 13, 1985.
Useful collection for documenting the extent of work done to redesign the building for open stack access.
Catherine Bruck, University Archivist 11/15/2000