Pullman Foundation records, 1950-1962
Materials related to the George M. Pullman Educational Foundation, 1950 - 1962, and John T. Rettaliata's services as a member of the Board of Director. Names frequently appearing include Florence Lowden Miller and Dorothy Miller (Secretary). Two letters are signed by Graham R. Taylor: April 26, 1956 to Rettaliata and Oct. 25, 1957 to Mrs. C. Phillip Miller (in folder 4 or 5).
- Rettaliata, John T., Dr. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Available for Research
John T. Rettaliata (1911-2009) served as Illinois Institute of Technology's second president from 1952 - June 30, 1973. His tenure at IIT began in 1945 as a professor of mechanical engineering. He held various campus positions prior to become president including director of the mechanical engineering department, dean of engineering, and vice-president for academic affairs. As president of IIT, he also served as president of Armour Research Foundation where he had previously been a consultant in the ARF mechanical engineering division. Rettaliata's presidency marked a time of continued expansion of the physical campus and IIT's building program. In addition, it was under Rettaliata that the school developed into a university as a result of administrative reorganization and expansion of the school's academic programs. The George M. Pullman Educational Foundation was organized June 25, 1949 as a successor to Pullman Free School of Manual Training (incorporated in the State of Illinois February 15, 1900 and dissolved in June 1950). The purpose of the Foundation was to provide financial assistance for education the residents of the Pullman neighborhood of Chicago. Graham R. Taylor served as Educational Director and IIT Pres. John T. Rettaliata served on the Board of Directors, replacing Pres. Henry T. Heald who had served prior to 1951.
Catherine Bruck, University Archivist