Skip to main content
Contact Us

Camp Armour sign, 1940

Identifier: 002.04.06

Pressboard sign for "Alfred E. Phillips Hall" in white block letters. On the back is written "From the main lodge of CAMP ARMOUR, Boulder Junction, Wisconsin.


  • Creation: 1940


Conditions Governing Access

Available for Research

Collection Size

1 Item (sign)

Biographical Note

Camp Armour was operated from ca. 1905 to 1963 by the Civil Engineering Department at Armour Institute of Technology and Illinois Institute of Technology to teach surveying classes during a summer session. The original location was in Michigan; from 1914 on it was located on Upper Trout Lake in Wisconsin on property purchased by AIT. Classes were taught by Dr. A. E. Phillips, Prof. Wells, and Prof. John Penn. The camp ceased operation in 1963 and the site was sold in 1966. Harold Bretz was an Illinois Institute of Technology faculty member, 1957 to 1986 and Associate Dean of the Graduate School, (ca. 1969 - 86). From 1958 - 1963, Bretz acted as Camp Administrator at Camp Armour, IIT's civil engineering camp on Upper Trout Lake, Wisconsin.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Was formerly cataloged as 1998.248


Catherine Bruck, University Archivist



Part of the Paul V. Galvin Library. University Archives and Special Collections Repository

35 West 33rd Street
Chicago IL 60616
(312) 567-5993

Paul V. Galvin Library

35 West 33rd Street | Chicago, IL | 60616