Institute of Design site photographs, 2000
Five 8½ x 11" color laser images (made from 35mm Kodachrome slides) of Chicago architecture and markers related to Laszlo Moholy-Nagy and the Institute of Design. The photos were taken in October 2000 by Hattula Moholy-Nagy. The images include:
- 247 E. Ontario St. building, which held the School of Design from 1939-1945. The school was located on the second floor.
- 632 N. Dearborn St. building which held the Institute of Design, 1946-1956. The building was designed by architect Henry Ives Cobb and built in 1892.
- Chicago Landmark plaque on the 632 N. Dearborn St. building.
- 1210 Astor St. Home of the Moholy-Nagy family, 1937-1940. The location is in the McConnell Block designed by Chicago architectural firm Holabird and Roche in 1897.
- Chicago Tribute marker, dedicated November 1999, at the site of 2622 Lakeview Ave., home of the Moholy-Nagy family, 1940-1949.
- Moholy-Nagy, Hattula, Ms. (Person)
Language of Materials
Records are in English.
Conditions Governing Access
Available for Research
Hattula Moholy-Nagy is the daughter of Laszlo Moholy-Nagy who founded The New Bauhaus: American School of Design in Chicago in 1937. The school later became Illinois Institute of Technology's (Chicago) Institute of Design.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Catherine Bruck, University Archivist, 11/7/2000