Skip to main content
Contact Us

Illinois Institute of Technology. Daniel F. and Ada L. Rice Campus

 Organization

Biography

In 1988 the Rice Foundation gave to Illinois Institute of Technology a 19-acre tract of land on Butterfield Rd. in Wheaton, Ill. This property became IIT's Daniel F. and Ada L. Rice Campus with the Dec. 4, 1990 dedication of the new 54,000 sq. ft. building built there to accommodate academic programs for non-traditional students. Initially known as "IIT WEST," the campus opened in 1986 in temporary quarters in Glen Ellyn on the campus of College of DuPage (this had followed the 1986 merger of Midwest College of Engineering, founded in Lombard by Alva C. Todd in 1967, with IIT). The campus was opened to establish IIT's presence in Chicago's western suburbs along the Illinois Research and Development Corridor (Interstate 88). Initially offering evening and weekend classes, the Rice Campus came to serve as a satellite campus of IIT's Main Campus in Chicago, catering to working professional graduate and upper-level undergraduate students with course offerings in information technology and management, manufacturing technology and management, computer science, engineering, science, business, and information technology.

Found in 15 Collections and/or Records:

Building Reference files, 1896-2013

 Collection
Identifier: 037.06.01
Scope and Contents The Building Reference Files collection consists of a mix of primary and secondary source material relating to the buildings and campuses of the Illinois Institute of Technology and its predecessor institutions. These files formerly served as "drop files" where archives staff collected clippings, ephemera, and photographs related to the buildings and campus, and as a result, many of the files consist wholly of secondary material (including photocopies and clippings from university...
Dates: 1895-2013

Campus and South Side Development posters, 1989-1999

 Collection
Identifier: 037.06.03
Description of the Collection

Oversize mounted posters used in connection with the campus redevelopment program at Illinois Institute of Technology in the 1990s. Lesser numbers of the posters deal with the development of the Bronzeville neighborhood on Chicago's South Side adjacent to the university's campus, and the university's downtown campus. Posters group into five series: I) Main Campus II) Landscaping III) McCormick Tribune Campus Center IV) Downtown Campus V) Chicago South Side Development

Dates: 1989-1999

IIT Update collection, 1989-1997

 Collection
Identifier: 040.01.06
Description of the Collection IIT Update was a periodical publication of "news and schedules of Illinois Institute of Technology suburban programs" offered at the Daniel F. and Ada L. Rice Campus in Wheaton, IL, extension courses at Harper College, and televised courses over William F. Finkl Interactive Instructional Television Network (IIT/V). Register of issues as follows: Fall 1989 (3 copies), Winter and Spring 1990 (5 copies), Spring 1990 (1 full size photocopy), Summer and Fall 1990 (3 copies), Summer and Fall 1991...
Dates: 1989-1997

Mary Dawson papers, 1986-1989

 Collection
Identifier: 036.03.15
Description of the Collection The contents of this collection primarily concern media activities (press releases, press clippings) related to development of Daniel F. and Ada L. Rice Campus in Wheaton (1986-1989), Moffett Campus (food safety) in Argo, IL (1988-1989), and the Cogeneration plant on Illinois Institute of Technology's main campus (1989). The collection also includes media kits, talking points, groundbreaking programs, photos and drawings. Also included are some FDA grant material regarding the Moffett Campus...
Dates: 1986-1989

Midwest College of Engineering collection, 1985-1986

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: 012.01.05
Abstract

In 1967 Dr. Alva C. Todd, a graduate of Illinois Institute of Technology, founded the Midwest College of Engineering (MCE) in Glen Ellyn, Illinois. In 1986, the Midwest College of Engineering merged with Illinois Institute of Technology, which led to the formation of IIT's west-suburban Rice Campus in Wheaton, Illinois. The Daniel F. and Ada L. Rice Campus of Illinois Institute of Technology in Wheaton opened for classes in 1991.

Dates: 1985-1986

Midwest College of Engineering publications, 1984-1988

 Collection
Identifier: 012.01.10
Description of the Collection Publications from the Midwest College of Engineering including: three copies of 1984-1987 catalogue, printed brochures on the College's programs and a 1985 faculty handbook. Also includes a 52-page soft cover book titled "Midwest College of Engineering: Twenty Years of Engineering Innovation" which contains a complete roster of faculty, staff, boards, and alumni through 1988 as well as biographical profiles of Alva C. Todd, Charles T. Alborn, Mary Todd-Brenner, John Williams, John D....
Dates: 1984-1988

Midwest College of Engineering records, 1968-1983

 Collection
Identifier: 012.01.06
Abstract

In 1967 Dr. Alva C. Todd, a graduate of Illinois Institute of Technology, founded the Midwest College of Engineering (MCE) in Glen Ellyn, Illinois. In 1986, the Midwest College of Engineering merged with Illinois Institute of Technology, which led to the formation of IIT's west-suburban Rice Campus in Wheaton, Illinois. The Daniel F. and Ada L. Rice Campus of Illinois Institute of Technology in Wheaton opened for classes in 1991.

Dates: 1968-1983

Office of Communications and Marketing photographs, 1952-2002

 Collection
Identifier: 036.04.03
Description of the Collection

Photographs and audiovisual materials created by or collected by the Illinois Institute of Technology Office of Communications and Marketing. See 2006.031/Series 2 for A-V materials.

Dates: 1952-2002; Majority of material found within 1983-2002

Office of Public Relations records, 1955-1999

 Collection
Identifier: 036.03.04
Description of the Collection

Office of Public Relations prior to 2000. See series level records for itemized box lists of contents, and specific dates. Collection bulks with binders of 35mm color slides, also includes manuscripts and A-V materials.

Dates: 1955-2000; Majority of material found within 1980-1989

Additional filters:

Filter By Subject
 

Paul V. Galvin Library

35 West 33rd Street | Chicago, IL | 60616
312.567.6847 library@iit.edu