Thomas R. Brown Hall (Chicago, Ill.)
Thomas R. Brown Hall, located at 3254 South Michigan Avenue, was designed by Francis M. Whitehouse of Burling & Whitehouse and was demolished in 1961. Once known as Cudahy mansion, this building was purchased in 1939 for graduate students. It served as one of IIT's Naval housing quarters (Quarters 2) from approximately 1943-45. After World War II, the building housed graduate students and, from 1948-61, the Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity. Formerly known as Cudahy Mansion (1880s-1919) , Chicago Motor Club (1919-1929), Quarters 2 (1943-1946), Graduate House (1939-1943, 1946-1948), Brown House (1950s), Brown Hall.
Found in 2 Collections and/or Records:
Buildings and Grounds Building Alteration files, 1945-1949
Description of the Collection Collection appears to be the papers of W. J. Parduhn, Superintendent of Buildings and Grounds. Files contain work orders, memos and correspondence, financial schedules, and miscellaneous other materials related to renovations and maintenance of campus buildings. Both old (previously existing) and new (primarily Alumni Memorial Hall, Perlstein Hall, Wishnick Hall) buildings are included. Drawings of the project work are sometimes included. Records appear to concern only IIT academic...
Dates: 1945-1949; Majority of material found within 1947-1949
H. Lennart Pearson photographs, 1950-1959
Description of the Collection Black and white photographs (3"x3") of Illinois Institute of Technology campus construction sites, including the removal of historical Bronzeville buildings on campus circa 1950-1959. The buildings under construction include Gunsaulus Hall, Carman Hall, Bailey Hall, Cunningham Hall, Fowler Hall, and the dorms which later came to be known as the McCormick Student Village. The buildings being razed include the Masser Hotel and Brown Hall. The collection also includes Student Independent 2:...
Paul V. Galvin Library
35 West 33rd Street | Chicago, IL | 60616