George J. Kacek Hall (Chicago, Ill.)
Designed by Ludwig Mies van der Rohe, this building was originally called Bailey Hall (or Bailey Apartments) upon its completion in 1955. After a 2020 renovation, the doritory was renamed George J. Kacek Hall after Illinois Tech alumnus George J. Kacek (EE ’54, M.S. ’55).
Found in 3 Collections and/or Records:
Building Reference files, 1896-2013
Scope and Contents The Building Reference Files collection consists of a mix of primary and secondary source material relating to the buildings and campuses of the Illinois Institute of Technology and its predecessor institutions. These files formerly served as "drop files" where archives staff collected clippings, ephemera, and photographs related to the buildings and campus, and as a result, many of the files consist wholly of secondary material (including photocopies and clippings from university...
H. Lennart Pearson photographs, 1950-1959
Description of the Collection Black and white photographs (3"x3") of Illinois Institute of Technology campus construction sites, including the removal of historical Bronzeville buildings on campus circa 1950-1959. The buildings under construction include Gunsaulus Hall, Carman Hall, Bailey Hall, Cunningham Hall, Fowler Hall, and the dorms which later came to be known as the McCormick Student Village. The buildings being razed include the Masser Hotel and Brown Hall. The collection also includes Student Independent 2:...
Office of Building and Grounds Construction records, 1956-1970
Description of the Collection
Office files documenting construction of various buildings on the campus of Illinois Institute of Technology. Drawings are generally not included, but the materials frequently include specifications, bids, contracts, financial information, etc.
Dates: 1956-1970; Majority of material found within 1958-1966
Paul V. Galvin Library
35 West 33rd Street | Chicago, IL | 60616