Skip to main content
Contact Us

Chicago-Kent College of Law

 Organization

Biography

"None of these [mergers] was more important than the 1969 merger with the historic Chicago-Kent College of Law. Kent traced its origins to 1886, when a number of young Chicago law clerks sought to improve their knowledge by studying informally with experienced local judges and, as a group, eventually assuming a formal name: The Chicago Evening Law Class, incorporated in 1888 as The Chicago College of Law. "A year later it became the law department of Lake Forest University. State regulations at that time called for only two years of study prior to admission to the bar and the beginning of professional practice. Lake Forest asked for more. Its requirement of three years of study before the granting of the Bachelor of Laws degree was the first such advanced stipulation operative in Illinois legal education institutions. "Meanwhile the Kent College of Law, which had been founded in 1892, united with the Lake Forest department in 1900 to form Chicago-Kent College of Law, a name it retained after Lake Forest University became Lake Forest College in 1904 and gave up its several professional departments. Chicago-Kent, operating independently, functioned as an evening school until 1922, when an afternoon division was added. Ten years later it became a full-time day school. "It was accredited by the American Bar Association in 1936 and admitted to the Association of American Law Schools in 1951. Its original home was in the Athenaeum Building on Van Buren Street just east of Wabash Avenue. In 1912 it moved to the Lakeview Building at 116 S. Michigan Avenue, and in 1924 it took over its own six-story building at 10 North Franklin Street." Author: Franz Schultz; for draft of Illinois Institute of Technology Campus Guide (The Campus Guide), © 2005 Princeton Architectural Press Chicago-Kent's first location was in the Athenaeum Building at 18-26 Van Buren St. In 1912 it moved to the Lakeview Building at 116 S. Michigan Avenue. In 1924 it took over its own six-story building at 10 North Franklin Street. It occupied the building as 77 S. Wacker Dr. ca. 1975-1991. Moved to 565 W. Adams Street, a building built by IIT for the law school, in 1992, the building later to be known as IIT's Downtown Campus. Auxiliary space rented by Chicago-Kent over the years included the following locations: 130 N. Wells St; Wells and Randolph; Wells and Madison; 1 S. Wacker.

Found in 14 Collections and/or Records:

Accreditation Self-Evaluation Studies collection, 2001-2007

 Collection
Identifier: 026.10.02
Description of the Collection Loose leaf and spiral bound documents containing Illinois institute of Technology self-evaluation studies from various offices/departments. Some of these copies might have been assembled for IIT's 2006 re-accreditation process by the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools (NCA), many were the result of previous self-evaluations prepared for other accreditation bodies. See binder list below. ...
Dates: 2001-2007

Campus and South Side Development posters, 1989-1999

 Collection
Identifier: 037.06.03
Description of the Collection

Oversize mounted posters used in connection with the campus redevelopment program at Illinois Institute of Technology in the 1990s. Lesser numbers of the posters deal with the development of the Bronzeville neighborhood on Chicago's South Side adjacent to the university's campus, and the university's downtown campus. Posters group into five series: I) Main Campus II) Landscaping III) McCormick Tribune Campus Center IV) Downtown Campus V) Chicago South Side Development

Dates: 1989-1999

Carl B. Stoneham papers, 1955-1969

 Collection
Identifier: 005.02.01
Description of the Collection This collection contains items related to Carl Stoneham's graduation from Chicago-Kent College of Law: Two coasters with image of Chicago-Kent building at 10 N. Franklin St., Chicago; Feb. 12, 1969 commencement invitation, name card, and program; 1955 uniform law citation guide; 1963-64 Chicago-Kent annual announcement (i.e., academic catalog) (includes exterior and interior photos of 10 N. Franklin building); Stoneham's diploma (Juris Doctor, 1969); ABA certificate; State of Illinois law...
Dates: 1955-1969

Chicago-Kent College of Law Reports from the Dean, 2012-2013

 Collection
Identifier: 005.01.01
Description of the Collection

Small amount of material from the Chicago Kent College of Law, including: 1) 2012 Report from the Dean 2) 2013 Report from the Dean

Dates: 2012-2013

Chicago-Kent Construction Sign plan, August 28, 1975

 Item
Scope and Contents

Planned sign reads "Future Home Downtown Campus Illinois Institute of Technology Chicago-Kent College of Law..."

Dates: August 28, 1975

Chicago-Kent Magazine, 2013-2019

 Collection
Identifier: 005.01.02
Description of the Collection

Chicago-Kent Magazinea serial title published for the alumni and friends of the Chicago-Kent College of Law. Magazine contains articles about various college activities, people, alumni, etc. 2007-2010

Dates: 2013-2019

Consular Ball invitation, 2001

 Collection
Identifier: 005.03.01
Description of the Collection

Invitation to the Consular Ball, 2001

Dates: 2001

Dan Ryan collection, ca. 1989

 Collection
Identifier: 036.04.06
Abstract

Slides of images depicting the history of Illinois Institute of Technology. The slides were possibly arranged for the purposes of a slide show. Some images were reproduced from historic sources such as yearbooks. The most recent images are dated 1988-1989.

Dates: 1891-1989; Majority of material found within 1988-1989

Floor plan, 18 S. Michigan Ave., ca. 1975

 Item
Content Description From the Collection:

This collection includes drawings, plans, blueprints, and other materials stored in the East Map Case. These materials are not all from the same source, nor are they a coherent collection by any factor other than that they are all stored together. See folder listings for an inventory of the items in this collection.

Dates: ca. 1975

Floor plan, 173 N. Wacker Dr., 1975

 Item
Content Description From the Collection:

This collection includes drawings, plans, blueprints, and other materials stored in the East Map Case. These materials are not all from the same source, nor are they a coherent collection by any factor other than that they are all stored together. See folder listings for an inventory of the items in this collection.

Dates: 1975

Additional filters:

Filter By Record Type
 
Filter By Subject
 

Paul V. Galvin Library

35 West 33rd Street | Chicago, IL | 60616
312.567.6847 library@iit.edu