ARF Publicity collection, 1932-1963
Materials published by the Armour Research Foundation (ARF) sent to potential clients. Contains the following folders: 1) ARF Undated Publicity 2) Research Applied to Industry, 1932 3) International Division of ARF, 1940s 4) "To Our Sponsors" 1945 & 1950s 5) Industrial Laboratories, 1950 6) Armour Research Foundation advertising, 1953 7) Fact Sheet on Precision Gage Laboratory, 1954 8) ARF Technical Areas, 1956 9) New York Office opening announcement, 1962 10) ARF name-change announcement, 1963
- Majority of material found in 1932-1963
- Armour Research Foundation (U.S.) (Organization)
Language of Materials
Records are in English.
Armour Research Foundation (ARF) was one of the first private, not-for-profit contract research laboratories in the United States. Begun in Chicago in 1936 by Armour Institute of Technology (AIT), ARF was acquired by Illinois Institute of Technology in 1940 when IIT was created by the merger of AIT and Lewis Institute. Re-named Armour Research Foundation of Illinois Institute of Technology, it was later reorganized as the IIT Research Institute (IITRI). Under all its iterations, the laboratory conducted research for commercial and government sources, expanding to an international operation. Per IIT President John L. Anderson's April e-newsletter to the campus community, "In 2002, Alion purchased the non-life-science assets of IIT Research Institute.... IITRI remains an IIT-controlled company and is led by David McCormick, who is also professor of biology at the university.... [In March 2010] the university received a cash payment...in exchange for our final holdings of bonds and warrants in Alion...." Source: IIT Archives (Chicago) Please cite source when quoting this information. Please send corrections or additional information about this topic to email@example.com.
Was separated from 1998.130 and assigned same number (1998.130). The collection number was changed on 8/10/2017 to 031.01.01; and then changed on 11/7/2018 to 031.04.10