Galvin Library collection, 2004
Materials created by or related to The Paul V. Galvin Library on the campus of Illinois Institute of Technology (Chicago).
- Paul V. Galvin Library (Organization)
Language of Materials
Records are in English.
Conditions Governing Access
Available for Research
The Paul V. Galvin Library is Illinois Institute of Technology's main academic library. "Galvin Library" refers both the building and the collections which it houses. The building, which opened in 1962, was built to house both the Crerar Library (a specialized science and mathematics library founded in the 1890s by the will of John Crerar) and IIT's academic library, which operated at that time under the name of Kemper Library (named for James Kemper, Sr.). The arrangement for joint tenancy/ownership of the building was ended in 1985: IIT purchased the portion of the building owned by Crerar and the Crerar collection was removed to the University of Chicago. The IIT building was then renovated and re-named Paul V. Galvin Library. The Galvin Library book and periodical collection includes volumes originally in the libraries of Armour Institute of Technology and Lewis Institute (which merged in 1940 to create IIT) and subsequent purchases by the Kemper and Galvin Libraries. Directors/deans of Galvin Library include: David Dowell, 19 - 19 Sohair Elbaz Wastawy, 19 - May 2005 (Wastawy was on leave of absence from June 2004 - May 2005, at which time she resigned her position.) Christopher Stewart, 2005 - 20. (Stewart served as interim during Wastawy's leave.)
Of primary importance.
Catherine Bruck, University Archivist 5/15/2007