Armour Institute of Technology student records, 1899-1943
Set of 3 x 5" typed index cards of students who attended Armour Institute of Technology. Generally one per student, showing student's name and address, classes taken by academic term usually with course title and number, and grade received. Miscellaneous other information is sometimes included. In alphabetical order by student names. Dates appear to cover almost the entire time period the school operated, classes dated post-1940 may indicate that these students matriculated at AIT prior to the creation of Illinois Institute of Technology. Includes Armour Academy (high school/preparatory) students.
- Creation: 1899-1943
- Armour Institute of Technology (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Armour Institute of Technology, established in 1892, merged with Lewis Institute in 1940 to create Illinois Institute of Technology. Armour Institute was created by Chicago pastor and activist Frank Gunsaulus, whose "million dollar sermon" inspired industrialist Phillip D Armour to fund a school built on "practical education." The campus was connected to the Armour Mission and Armour Flats complex on the near south side, and eventually absorbed and replaced those buildings.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Catherine Bruck, University Archivist 3/8/2003