Student Housing brochures, 1948-1970
Materials related to On-Campus Housing with information about rooms, meal plans, residence halls, services, and room and board costs. Contains: 1) brochure for New Men's Residence and Dining Hall, 1959; Memo of available housing, 1953- 1954; booklet Univeristy Apartments; brochure for Residence Halls Farr Hall- Fowler Hall, 1948; brochure for Residence Halls, 1959; brochure for Residence Halls, n.d.; Booklet of Residence Halls, n.d. 2) Apartments: Blank apartment lease agreements; brochure for Apartment Housing, 1953; brochure Apartment Housing; Apartment Living at Technology Center (several edition, not individually dated ca. 1950-1970); flyer for Apartments, 1952
- Illinois Institute of Technology (Organization)
Language of Materials
Records are in English.
IIT offered increasing amounts of on-campus housing as the demographics of its student body shifted. Initially, limited housing was offered in nearby buildings and houses. This was replaced by a group of four residence halls designed by Skidmore, Owings and Merrill: Farr Hall (1948), Gunsaulus Hall (1949), Carman Hall (1953), and Cunningham Hall (1955). Gunsaulus and Carman Halls offered apartment housing to graduate students, students with families, research center staff, and faculty. Campus housing was expanding through the 1950s with a set of six interconnected halls (Graduate Hall, Fowler Hall, Lewis Hall, East Hall, North Hall, and South Hall), named McCormick Student Village in 1963. In the 1960s, a set of houses for fraternities was built on campus around the "Quad," replacing fraternity houses along Michigan Ave. Housing was expanded again in 2003 with State Street Village.
Taken from 1998.130