Lewis Institute banner, 1940
Navy blue felt banner with ties on four corners, reading "LEWIS INSTITUTE" in white letters. History and use is unknown, but may have been used at school events prior to 1940 or at alumni reunions which continued the dissolution of the school at IIT.
1 banner ; 34" x 18"
Biographical / Historical
he Lewis Institute was a technical and professional college that served the greater Chicago area from 1896 to 1940. In 1940 it merged with Armour Institute of Technology to form the Illinois Institute of Technology (IIT). It was created by the bequest of Chicago business Allen Cleveland Lewis (1821--1877), who willed his estate to the creation of a school of higher learning open to all men and women regardless of finances or social standing. The Lewis Institute was subsequently established in 1896 in a building designed by Henry Ives Cobb on the corner of Madison St. and Robey St. (now Damen St.) Lewis Institute’s first president, George Noble Carman (1856--1941) and first dean, Edwin Herbert Lewis (1866-1938), worked together to create an innovative higher education program that blended liberal arts with practical training. In 1940, after a decade of increasing financial and accreditation problems, Lewis Institute merged with the Armour Institute of Technology. Lewis's school colors were blue and white.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Was formerly 1998.114
Catherine Bruck, University Archivist