Heald, Henry T. (Henry Townley), 1904-1975
Henry Townley Heald served as Armour Institute of Technology's president from 1937-1940, and oversaw the consolidation of Armour and Lewis Institute. That merger led to the formation of Illinois Institute of Technology in 1940, with Heald serving as IIT's first president. Heald served until 1952, and under his guidance, IIT evolved from a small engineering school to a significant technology center. In addition, he was instrumental in shaping the close relationship between industry and the research done at IIT by adding sixty leading industrialists to the board of trustees. Heald also recruited scholars from all over America and Europe, including Architect Ludwig Mies van der Rohe who designed and built IIT's landmark campus.
Found in 19 Collections and/or Records:
In 1947, Henry Townley Heald was recognized for 20 years of consecutive service to the two schools of Armour Institute of Technology and Illinois Intitute of Technology with the presentation of this platter, engraved with the names of Trustees.
The collection consists of correspondence, memos, reports, and other materials which constitute the administrative files of the of Henry T. Heald in his role as President of Armour Institute of Technology (Chicago), 1937-1940 and as President of Illinois Institute of Technology (Chicago), 1940-1952.
Various printed materials from John Makielski, who served as Assistant to John Rettaliata and as Registrar. The materials relate to the development of the Illinois Institute of Technology campus including booklets, reprints, photographs, and campus plan images documenting concepts of an emerging campus.
"Little Reb," story and illustrations by Irv Rebeschini and caricatures by Jim Smola, concerns Jim Gaffney, Irv Rebeschini, N. Michelic, Registrar N. Keeley, Dean of Students N. Duckins, Asst. Dean John Rettaliata, and Pres. Henry T. Heald.
Materials related to Illinois Institute of Technology's U.S. Naval Reserve Officers Training Corps, which IIT President Henry Heald was instrumental in helping establish during WW II.
Five video tapes including campus promotional films, clips of news coverage on local network TV newscasts, and interviews with three students (Erika, Elena Zukowskis, and Amanda Porter) who received the Piper Scholarship, and one on the Stuart School.
Incomplete set of the President's Newsletter, a publication sent to faculty and staff starting in 1944.
- Record Type
- Collection 16
- Archival Component 2
- Digital Record 1
- Universities and colleges--Alumni and alumnae 6
- Universities and colleges--Faculty 5
- Universities and colleges--Finance 4
- Fund raising 3
- Awards 2
- Bronzeville (Chicago, Ill.) 2
- Campus planning 2
- Chicago (Ill.) 2
- Education--Illinois--Chicago 2
- Serial publications 2
- Universities and colleges--Administration 2
- World War, 1939-1945 2
- African Americans 1
- Architectural drawings (visual works) 1
- Cartoons and comics 1
- Circus 1
- College buildings--Planning 1
- College students--Recruiting 1
- Commencement ceremonies 1
- Congresses and conventions 1
- Engineering 1
- Greek letter societies 1
- Nonprofit organizations--Illinois--Chicago 1
- Photographs 1
- Portraits 1
- Statistics 1
- Students--Social life and customs 1
- Universities and colleges--Employees 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- War work -- Schools 1 ∧ less