Armour Institute slide, 1899
One glass slide depicting a drawing or engraving of Armour Institute of Technology, Armour Mission, and Armour Flats at the corner of 33rd and Federal Streets. Aerial perspective view from the northeast. Image appears in an article about Armour Institute of Technology in "New England Magazine," May 1899 (or 1897?), p. 356.
- Armour Institute of Technology (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Available for Research
1 photographic_slides : Glass lantern slide
Philip Danforth Armour founded the Armour Institute of Technology in 1890, with the first courses offered in 1893 in the building at the SW corner of 33rd and Federal Street now Main Building. The Armour Mission building (1886) across the street (on the SE corner) predated Armour Institute. It served a non-denominational Christian church community, housed classrooms, a library, and space for musical and religious instruction, and provided social services focused primarily on children. In order to provide income for the Mission, Mr. Armour constructed a group of apartment buildings known as the Armour Flats which were rented to employees of the family-owned Armour Meatpacking plant located a short distance away. Over time, the Mission operation (as a church/social service agency) ceased operation and some of the Flats buildings were razed, with the Mission building and the remaining Flats being used by Armour Institute.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Tony Bremholm 8/8/2001