Skip to main content
Contact Us

Armour Facilities collection, 1938

Identifier: 002.01.02

Materials related to the physical facilities at the Armour Institute of Technology. Current contains: Parking Survey Report by the Senior Civil Engineering Class in City and Highway Planning


  • Creation: 1938


Conditions Governing Access

Available for Research

Collection Size

1 Item

Biographical Note

The Armour Institute of Technology grew out the Armour Mission, a Sunday School established through bequests from brothers Philip D and Joseph F Armour in 1881. In 1887, technical classes were introduced by librarian Julia Beveridge and quickly proved popular. Subsequently Rev. Frank W Gunsaulus' \Million Dollar Sermon\ given in 1980 at the affiliated Plymouth Church inspired Philip D Armour to provide funding for a technical training school. Armour Institute of Technology opened in 1982 and expanded its technical curriculum over the following decades. In 1940 it joined with the Lewis Institute to form the Illinois Institute of Technology under the leadership of President Henry Heald, who became IIT's first president.

Part of the Paul V. Galvin Library. University Archives and Special Collections Repository

35 West 33rd Street
Chicago IL 60616
(312) 567-5993

Paul V. Galvin Library

35 West 33rd Street | Chicago, IL | 60616