Skip to main content
Contact Us

External publicity about Armour Institute of Technology, 1897-1940

 Collection
Identifier: 002.06.03

Magazine articles and news clippings about Armour Institute. The 1922 news clippings are exclusively about Armour Institute's baseball team and season.

Dates

  • 1897-1940

Creator

Language of Materials

Records are in English.

Conditions Governing Access

Available for Research

Collection Size

14 Folders

Biographical Note

The Armour Institute of Technology grew out the Armour Mission, a Sunday School established through bequests from brothers Philip D. and Joseph F. Armour in 1881. In 1887, technical classes were introduced by librarian Julia Beveridge and quickly proved popular. Subsequently Rev. Frank W Gunsaulus' "Million Dollar Sermon" given in 1980 at the affiliated Plymouth Church inspired Philip D Armour to provide funding for a technical training school. Armour Institute of Technology opened in 1982 and expanded its technical curriculum over the following decades. In 1940 it joined with the Lewis Institute to form the Illinois Institute of Technology under the leadership of President Henry Heald, who became IIT's first president.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Formerly 2007.038 and 1998.186

Processor

Mindy C. Pugh, University Archivist, 8/24/2007 and 2/7/2021

Part of the Paul V. Galvin Library. University Archives and Special Collections Repository

Contact:
35 West 33rd Street
Chicago IL 60616
(312) 567-5993

Paul V. Galvin Library

35 West 33rd Street | Chicago, IL | 60616
312.567.6847 library@iit.edu