Snow Cruiser expansion collection, 1937-1939
Miscellaneous materials about the Snow Cruiser, primarily a 28-page photocopy of The Snow Cruiser: The Story of Its Conception and Construction and the Part it Will Play in the Expedition of the United States Antarctic Service by Alexander Schreiber, Public Relations Counsel, Research Foundation of Armour Institute of Technology (Project No. 1-89 [?]) Copyright 1939, Armour Research Foundation. Also miscellaneous news clippings. The following item was added to this collection by C. Bruck,University Archivist, 6/21/2012: A memo by Alexander Schreiber listing representatives of 15 companies (all of which were involved in the development of the vehicle) who attended a meeting concerning publicity policy about the Antarctic Snow Cruiser; Aug. 8, 1939.
- Creation: 1937-1939
- Armour Research Foundation (U.S.) (Organization)
Language of Materials
Records are in English.
Conditions Governing Access
Available for Research
The Snow Cruiser was a mobile research laboratory developed by Armour Research Foundation (Chicago) to be used by Adm. Richard E. Byrd on his third expedition to Antarctica in 1939. The vehicle was driven across land from Chicago where it was built to the East Coast of the United States where it was loaded onto a ship and taken to "Little America" in the Antarctic. Dr. F. Alton Wade was the vehicle's captain. When Adm. Byrd was recalled to the United States with the approach of World War II, the Snow Cruiser was left in Antarctica. In 1958, it was found "under 14 feet of ice and snow" (per a document noted in IIT Archives/Acc. No. 2000.51). Source: IIT Archives (Chicago) Please cite source when quoting this information. Please send corrections or additional information about this topic to email@example.com.
Catherine Bruck, University Archivist