Skip to main content
Contact Us

Charles A. Sengstock, Jr. papers, 1960-2000

Identifier: 031.07.04

Collection of articles authored by Charles A. Sengstock, Jr. for the Armour Research Foundation newsletter concerning jazz clubs, theaters, and historic buildings on the south side of Chicago in the 1940s and 1950s. Items included in the collection: ARF News (photocopy), Dec. 1959; article on Mecca Flats ARF News (photocopy), Jan., 1960; article on Arcade building (AKA Jesse Binga Bank building) ARF News (photocopy), March, 1960; article on the Vendome Theater ARF News, April-May, 1960; article on the States Theater ARF News, Oct., 1960; article on the Avenue Theater ARF News (photocopy), Feb. 1961; article on Mort Klein and Martha Schlamme ARF News (photocopy), March, 1961; article on Armour Flats Technology Center Events (photocopy), March 13, 1961; item about Sengstock as jazz author Technology News, March 24, 1961; article about Sengstock as jazz author Jazz Music in Chicago's Early South-Side Theaters by Sengstock, 2000; 56-page book


  • Creation: 1960-2000


Language of Materials

Records are in English.

Conditions Governing Access

Available for Research

Collection Size

11 Item

Biographical Note

Charles A. Sengstock, Jr. was an associate in the public relations office for Armour Research Foundation from Feb. 1958 - Feb. 1962. His office was located initially in the "33rd St. apartments" (apparently the Armour Flats building) before moving to the former Arcade building at 10 W. 35th St. (35th and State Sts.) which was then owned by Armour Research Foundation. Sengstock had a particular interest in the Jazz culture of the Bronzeville community at the time and wrote various articles on the former clubs and theaters in the area for the Armour Research Foundation newsletter. Sengstock earlier worked for WGN radio and television in Chicago. Armour Research Foundation (ARF) was one of the first private, not-for-profit contract research laboratories in the United States. Begun in Chicago in 1936 by Armour Institute of Technology (AIT), ARF was acquired by Illinois Institute of Technology in 1940 when IIT was created by the merger of AIT and Lewis Institute. Re-named Armour Research Foundation of Illinois Institute of Technology, it was later reorganized as the IIT Research Institute (IITRI). Under all its iterations, the laboratory conducted research for commercial and government sources, expanding to an international operation. Per IIT President John L. Anderson's April e-newsletter to the campus community, "In 2002, Alion purchased the non-life-science assets of IIT Research Institute.... IITRI remains an IIT-controlled company and is led by David McCormick, who is also professor of biology at the university.... [In March 2010] the university received a cash exchange for our final holdings of bonds and warrants in Alion...." Source: IIT Archives (Chicago)


Formerly 2000.017


Though not unique, the material documents some of the donor's activities as an ARF staff member and supplements Archives materials on historic Bronzeville.

Related Material

Bronzeville materials


Catherine Bruck, University Archivist 5/3/2000

Part of the Paul V. Galvin Library. University Archives and Special Collections Repository

35 West 33rd Street
Chicago IL 60616
(312) 567-5993

Paul V. Galvin Library

35 West 33rd Street | Chicago, IL | 60616