Edward Mochel photographs, 1950-1957
This collection includes slides and photographs of campus buildings taken by Edward Mochel and an autobiographical chapter covering his years at Illinois Institute of Technology. The collection includes twenty-six color (Kodachrome) 35mm slides dated 1957. The slides depict various academic and residence buildings on IIT's campus, including Main Building and Machinery Hall, Crown Hall, Carr Chapel, and Association of American Railroads, and Armour Research Foundation structures. They include some skyline shots and neighborhood including Old Comisky Park, Stateway Gardens, public housing and historic Bronzeville structures. Four black and white prints (3x5") show Gunsaulus Hall under construction (1950), Fowler Hall and the historic residence at 3214 S. Michigan used as the Theta Xi Fraternity house. On the street several vintage cars are visible, including a 1935 Ford coupe with rumble seat. Autobiographical chapter covering Mochel's years at IIT discusses fraternities, student social life, campus activities, and the Bronzeville neighborhood.
- Creation: 1950-1957
- Mochel, Edward V. (Person)
Language of Materials
Records are in English.
Conditions Governing Access
Available for Research
Edward V. Mochel received a B.S. in Chemistry in 1951 and his M. S. in Engineering in 1957. While pursuing graduate work, he lived in Gunsaulus Hall. As an undergraduate, he lived in the Theta Xi Fraternity House. Mochel served as an engineering instructor while at IIT before joining the faculty at the University of Virginia in 1989.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Was formerly 2000.041.
Catherine Bruck, University Archivist 11/8/2000 and 12/20/2000